July disappeared!

Finally another post.  We were away a lot during July and into August - Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Geelong.  And I worked in paid employment far too much, and we had our granddaughter stay for a week of the holidays.  All this to explain why I've had nothing to show for so long.  


The wallhanging for my friend was finally finished.  I could have kept on embellishing it, but was putting off the inevitable handover.  It is always tricky to hand over something you've spent so much time and effort on; hoping that the recipient will love it like you do, not see the flaws in it, and not hide it away in a back bedroom.  It finished about 44" wide by 22" deep.  It grew around the five batik elephant squares.  I used foundation paper piecing for some blocks and filled in "organically" with more patchwork cotton batik pieces.  It is embellished with big stitch quilting, as well as buttons and beads.  I had intended facing it rather than binding it, but I wimped out of that as I've never done it before and didn't want to stuff it up. 

And here's the wallhanging in my girlfriend's loungeroom. 

I've been working on finishing the top of Mason's quilt this week also.  When I finished the "confetti" part of the quilt, I realised that it was a little short.  Rummaging through my stash, I found a Laurel Burch border print which seemed to tie in with the main quilt blocks.  I added a strip at each end of the top and then realised that it was too wide and overpowered the other blocks.  So I cut each strip in half and, I think, it seems to work better.  What do you think?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrap Happy Day September 2024

Each month, we are reminded by Kate or Gun to post about our use of scraps in the last few weeks.  There's no obligation to post but it ...