Gosh, I can get sidetracked quickly when I'm in the sewing room!  

When making these 8" blocks a couple of weeks ago, I trimmed the triangles from the flying geese.  The pile of paired triangles was calling to me so I ended up sewing them into 3.25" pinwheel blocks and have joined them for a small doll's quilt.  The quilt will be about 14" x 16.5" finished size.  I wasn't thinking about future use of the triangles while I was trimming them off the flying geese, so they are not precise at all.  The points don't match; I should have pressed the seams open as they are quite bulky, but I haven't wasted the triangles!  so that's all good.  

     

I also made a little string of bunting, perfect for a doll's house or playhouse.  I had considered making more bunting with the triangles but there is only so much bunting a doll's house can have.  There is about 3m there, but they are only very small triangles.  











I've also made a pieced backing, binding and pieced batting ready to pin and quilt this top I finished a few weeks ago.  Shouldn't take long to quilt, I hope.











Last year I was searching in my crate of batting bits for a piece big enough for a quilt.  It was so frustrating trying to find the right size that I ended up spending a day measuring and recording the size of each piece of batting.  I've written the size and type of each piece on a piece of white fabric and pinned it to the top edge of the batting pieces.  These are all now folded so the size info is on the same edge and I can go through the pile to find what I need.  It is now so easy to find the right size piece of batting or knowing that I need to cut one or join two together to make them the right size.  I've got a few different batting pieces where I'm not sure whether they're cotton, wool or have some poly in them.  I also have some fusible batting that I tried out a few years ago.  Not sure if it will still be OK when I do go to use it up.  It wasn't my favourite batting to use.  I now have a large 18m long roll of 2.2m wide 80/20 wool/polyester batting, but it is slowly getting used up.  I'm using the scrap pieces in QAYG blocks, and other small items.   

I've been working a bit more than normal over the last couple of weeks, which has limited my sewing time sadly.  But the money is nice to put towards my sewing habit, or my travel habit, or my reading habit!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn is sewing weather

  We're off to the USA to visit our son very soon and I've made him a quilt - of course.  How else can I show my love?!  💓💓💓   La...