A week away from the sewing room

The handy helper and I headed away last week for a few days R&R, so I did no sewing at all!  Not even the small embroidery I took with me.  However, I did visit a few local quilt shops and helped their local economy.  I didn't buy for anything in particular, really.  A few novelty fabrics for I Spy quilts, a couple of cat fabrics for my collection, a few metres of a good black/grey fabric for borders at some stage, and a few yummy fat quarters.  And some Japanese fabrics for the quilt I intend to make using the sashiko panel I embroidered this year.  

The best shop I visited was Rosemont Patchwork Shop in Mogo, southern NSW.  They had a good collection of fabrics and notions, but the best thing (in my opinion) was the sewing machine museum.  About 300 machines of all vintages, including a collection of toy sewing machines.  It was really impressive.  Barry, the repair guy, sounds like he can't refuse an old machine, or let one go to the tip.  His knowledge was great and I stayed there for ages.  There was also a small collection of antiques, mainly china and glass, but the machines were amazing.  The museum has inspired me to get moving on getting to know a couple of antique machines I have.  

         

    

There was a novelty machine outside - quite large as you can see.  😆



Recently I acquired a sideboard for our family room.  The drawers are glass fronted, so I've backed the glass with some fabric that is quite similar to our curtain fabric.  That way the messy drawers are not on show.  Double sided tape is so finicky!  

This week I plan to finish the I Spy quilt, make some small baskets for gifts, and maybe sandwich another quilt ready for quilting.  I also have to make a bag for our car quilt, so it doesn't get dirty.  We will see what happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn is sewing weather

  We're off to the USA to visit our son very soon and I've made him a quilt - of course.  How else can I show my love?!  💓💓💓   La...