More from my trip to the USA

 I haven't yet unpacked the fabrics that I bought in the USA, so nothing to show there yet.  

But I did purchase a few textile pieces while on our Panama Canal cruise.

Mola is the name of the technique and the finished pieces that are made by the Guna people of northern Panama.  It is a multi-layered reverse applique, often embroidered as well.  The women wear two panels as part of their blouses.  The mola pieces are good quality ones.  One I purchased in Panama City at a stall on the street.  The other piece I purchased on an island in the San Blas Islands, where the Guna people live and work.  

I fell in love with the harpy eagle while on holiday in the Peruvian Amazon region.  There was a harpy eagle nest near our lodge on the Tambopata river, near Puerto Maldonado.  We could see the nest from the bird hide near the lodge, and also on the harpy cam live feed.  So I was very happy to get a harpy eagle mola textile, as well as a harpy eagle woven platter.  



This detail is from my Panama piece.  I think it shows how fine the work is.  


I was excited to find a harpy eagle mola, although I couldn't find out why he/she is holding a broom?


I may use the small applique pieces in a baby quilt.  Not sure yet.  They weren't expensive but are fairly well done.  



I bought this woven harpy eagle platter from a woman, Ermintrilda, at an Embera village in southern Panama, while on our Panama cruise.  












No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrap Happy Day September 2024

Each month, we are reminded by Kate or Gun to post about our use of scraps in the last few weeks.  There's no obligation to post but it ...